Friday, April 01, 2011

Been Quite a While...

It's Friday evening here in Ireland, and the rain is gently falling outside with a bit of a stiff breeze driving it against the windows of our home. I love nights like this! I am studying for Sunday's "Friend Day" here in Ballincollig, and as usual, I feel that I need God more than ever! Being saved over 30 years now by the precious blood of my Saviour, I would have thought that the older I get in the Lord, the more confident I would be in my "spirituality." But the opposite is true. The older I get, the more I find I need His wisdom, and His direction, and His strength in bigger doses! The spiritual battles of today, along with the trials and troubles of life have not faded, but only grown more fierce around me with the passing of time. In my heart, a greater peace and rest reigns the longer I serve Jesus, but just beyond my skin rages such sorrow and heavy burdens that I get overwhelmed sometimes just praying for what many people are struggling with. I find that most often, the troubles people, even believers are going through, have been brought on by themselves, but that doesn't make the burdens any lighter! As I sit here and prepare for Sunday's message, I am focused not just on dependency, but on Motherhood (since it will be Mother's Day here in Ireland on Sunday), and I feel for modern mothers most of all. They have only dreams, and ideals, with almost no abiding confidence in the Lord Jesus and His promises! I realise all to often that Mothers need more than my thoughts expressed when I preach... they need God's encouragement! I hope more than anything, to be such an encouragement, so that the Mothers who come on Sunday dig their heels in literally, and stay in the fight for their homes, and their husbands, and their Saviour! May Sunday be a miracle day, for the glory of children, and the honour of Moms! Just my thoughts, as I prepare for Sunday!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Pastor Ledbetter,
Thank you...your thoughts even encouraged me! I am a young mother to 3 little boys(Ages 3, 2 and 10months)and what you said is true. We do need encouragement to fight for our families and stand behind our faithful husbands in the Lord's work! Your family has been a blessing already to our church for years! I am a member of Old Time Baptist Church here in Hamburg, N.Y. My husband was in Scotland last October with you all in the meeting. His name is: Michael Ilardo. Thank you again! We continue to keep you and yours in prayer. ---Mrs.Michelle Ilardo

Toyin O. said...

I will keep you in prayer about Sunday:)